Dr Russell Joshua – Chief Executive Officer
Dr Joshua is an accomplished, skilled and highly competent professional with a track record of successful entrepreneurial leadership and strategy development and implementation at director, executive and senior management level. His career history includes roles in the private and public sectors spanning education and training, environmental sciences, technology commercialisation and private equity.
He possesses outstanding leadership, strategy, managerial and project skills with proven experience in leading and managing diverse teams that have successfully managed significant organisational, cultural and systemic change in both large and small organisations. His leadership skills have been refined through more than ten years C-level or equivalent experience leading SMEs and large government teams where he has deployed significant human, financial and physical resources to effect change by disrupting existing markets or practices and processes through the introduction of new and highly innovative goods and services often built on novel and enabling technology platforms.
He commenced developing his human, financial and physical resource management expertise at a young age with the commercialisation of the technology developed as part of his doctoral studies.
- Outstanding leadership and managerial skills with proven experience in leading and managing diverse teams and large and complex projects, including the ability to successfully oversight and deliver significant organisational, cultural and systemic change.
- Expertise in the management of significant human, financial and physical resources, including setting of organisational goals and objectives and measuring performance and reporting on achievement against these benchmarks.
- Proven project and financial management capability, including large, complex projects reporting to Tier 1 banking executives and Cabinet, Premier, Treasurer and/or Ministers within the Victorian Government in the science, technology and innovation space.
- Strong customer focus with demonstrated facilitation, interpersonal and networking skills, ability to establish and maintain effective, collaborative and productive partnerships and to negotiate effectively with a diverse clientele both internal and external to a large organisation.
- Broad experience in large and complex Victorian Government funded science and technology projects including the Australian Synchrotron, the University of Melbourne Super Computer (2007/08), NanoVic and Neurosciences Victoria.
- Broad and sound knowledge of the Higher Education sector, Vocational Education and Training (VET) and English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) strategy as it applies to training and education delivery and student recruitment in Australia and internationally, including an understanding of the drivers and policy settings in these areas and the longer term trends and issues in Higher Education within Australia and the global context. Intimate understanding of legislative frameworks affecting Australian and international student recruitment including provider obligations to international students studying onshore in Australia as it applies to student visa regulations, the Education Services for Overseas Students Act (2000) Act and the National Code of Practice for Registration Authorities and Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students and the ability to drive policy and program change these areas.
- Very high-level oral and written communication skills, with proven ability to articulate a vision and goals, present complex analysis and develop a clear business case including return on investment, with clarity and professionalism, including at the highest levels of business and government.
Senior Executive/Management and Consultancy Roles
- Management Consultant, Charles Sturt University
- Director Future Students and International, James Cook University
- Co-Founding Director, JCU College Pty Ltd
- Deputy Director General, Training and Employment, Department of Education, Training and Employment, Queensland Government
- Principal Adviser, Vocational Education and Training, Office of the Premier of Victoria
- Partner, TESS Australia and consultant to and, or director of a number of Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) and higher education providers (HEPs), including BSI Learning
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Australasian College – Broadway